Whatbird Community

This white-tailed Hawk was seen in Curacao in December.     It doesn't match any adult pictures but matches immature,  would the experts agree?    This would be my only ebird choice for a Hawk in Curacao so I'm left thinking it must be it.   Since this bird does goto Texas,  i'm still posting it in the proper forum, right?  My thought is if the bird can be seen in the US / Canada this is the appropriate place to post,  otherwise it can goto Outside North America.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, bobolink2014 said:

Since this bird does goto Texas,  i'm still posting it in the proper forum, right?

Yeah, I don't know about that rule (the subspecies in South America may be different than Texas), but I can help you out. 

I would say a juvenile (not immature) White-tailed Hawk. While adult light morphs have a short, white, dark-tipped tail, white belly, gray head, white inner wing linings, broad, pointed wings, dark primaries, white throat, and white throat, juveniles/immatures have dark inner wing linings, a white throat, and a dark head. I am leaning juvenile rather than immature due to the non-prominent dark trailing edge. However, if you want a more confident answer about the age of this bird, wait for more opinions.

• Like 2