Whatbird Community
bobolink2014

Golden Eagle - Adult or Immature

For my one and only Golden Eagle shot,  I can't tell if this is an immature or adult?   I just don't know if the little bit of golden coloration means it isn't quite an adult yet.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I hope someone with more expertise can chime in, but I'm a sucker for trying to age eagles.  I would guess this would be near-adult.  There's not much white to be seen at the tail base area.  The immatures will usually show more white in that area.   Immatures will usually also show prominent white patches in the wings at the base of the primaries.  You could argue that this bird still has a touch of white in that area, so for that reason it could more likely be subadult or even older immature as opposed to fully mature adult.  

I believe all stages show the golden nape, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Bee_ keeper
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bee_ keeper said:

I hope someone with more expertise can chime in, but I'm a sucker for trying to age eagles.  I would guess this would be near-adult.  There's not much white to be seen at the tail base area.  The immatures will usually show more white in that area.   Immatures will usually also show prominent white patches in the wings at the base of the primaries.  You could argue that this bird still has a touch of white in that area, so for that reason it could more likely be subadult or even older immature as opposed to fully mature adult.  

I believe all stages show the golden nape, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help.   I just have a lot to learn about a lot of birds.   I'm just glad for what I believe to be my only golden eagle shot,  you didn't come back and say "nope, that's a golden/bald eagle hybrid"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobolink2014 said:

I'm just glad for what I believe to be my only golden eagle shot,  you didn't come back and say "nope, that's a golden/bald eagle hybrid"

Hahaha. 😀    Congrats on a great shot of a totally awesome bird!   Truth be told, I've never seen one, so can only comment based on what I've read.  I'm just one of those easterners that sees a lot of Bald Eagles and always hopes to stumble on a Golden and be ready to know it.  There are many articles online that discuss the differences between baldies and goldies, as well as aging the birds; I love to read and study them.  Your bird definitely looks legit to me!