Whatbird Community

What do I have here?   I don't know if Muscovy Duck's hybridize, so that this is a pure Muscovy duck?   These life lists can be so technical, but I'd rather not say oh I saw this duck when I really didn't.    I'd rather know what I'm looking at then just upping my total.    Then I need to consider if this is Domesticated or Feral?   I'm getting confused looking at the websites.

Thanks for the help.

What I have is picture 1 from Florida and picture 2 from New Jersey.

Posted (edited)

This is a Muscovy Duck, but it is an established feral. While pure wild ones are fully black and green and have red warts, established ferals have varying amounts of white and brown patches on their bodies and varying amounts of red warts. Wilds in the U.S. are only common in Texas.

I think you know what is coming. Unfortunately, I don't think you can add this to your life list. 😫

Edited by akandula
  • Like 1

Thanks.    I appreciate the tips, and now I know what I saw!      I can save the trip to Texas to find the wild Muscovy's for another day.

And if nothing else,  I'm happy with my pictures.

• Like 1

Domestic Muscovies in Florida have multiplied exponentially and have been deemed countable by the ABA. On eBird you'll see an option for Muscovy Duck (Established Feral).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, akiley said:

Domestic Muscovies in Florida have multiplied exponentially and have been deemed countable by the ABA. On eBird you'll see an option for Muscovy Duck (Established Feral).

Oh... I never knew that. So they are countable, at least according to the ABA. Cool. Thanks for pointing that out.

One question - so if I saw these ducks (established ferals) in Hawaii, are they countable on my life (whole world) list? Thanks.

Edited by akandula

I’m not sure about Hawaii, but, yes, they are countable in S FL according to the ABA. Ticked them a couple of months ago, along with other countable exotics such as Common Myna and Egyptian Goose.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

I’m not sure about Hawaii, but, yes, they are countable in S FL according to the ABA. Ticked them a couple of months ago, along with other countable exotics such as Common Myna and Egyptian Goose.

Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgeable on the "counting" matters. I saw escaped Blue-and-yellow Macaws (from the hurricane) in S FL. Because these are not on the ABA checklist, they are not officially countable, right? Thanks.

19 hours ago, akandula said:

Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgeable on the "counting" matters. I saw escaped Blue-and-yellow Macaws (from the hurricane) in S FL. Because these are not on the ABA checklist, they are not officially countable, right? Thanks.

Going by ABA rules, no, they are not countable. I believe the only countable parakeets/parrots in FL are Monk, Nanday, and White-winged Parakeets. 

• Like 2

Wow,  I appreciate all the discussion on the topic.     Until now I thought the way ebird counted birds was similar to ABA,  but now I understand there are some differences.    I found on ebird the Muscovy Duck was listed as Domestic for my NJ shot as it was in an area previously reported when I went to setup a personal spot.    Yes,  in Florida there was only the Feral option.  Interesting.

So you can search for these birds on a map,  but it seems like you can't search for true strays where you do an "add species".   As with the help of another whatbird positing,  I got to add my identified White-necked Raven I saw a few years back,  and when searching for it,  I didn't see anything.  

Getting back to ABA, I now know the ebird number can vary from what is really an ABA number.  Thanks so much.