Whatbird Community

With a bunch of Heermann's gulls, this tan-colored gull stood out. My guess is young Iceland Gull (Thayer's), pink legs, checkered patterned coverts, tan-colored wing-tips. Does that seem right? Seen in Santa Cruz, CA, Aug 12

48567571111_2878ee8e3d_z.jpg

48567570666_4d62cd0160_z.jpg

48567570331_c60ca24eb4_z.jpg

48567569486_f888ba472c_z.jpg

48567717292_79b519c8ca_z.jpg

48567717022_8dbefe25b3_z.jpg

Very interesting bird. I suspect it might be an aberrant juvenile Heerman's. However, even if this bird was indeed a young Heerman's with unusually warm-colored plumage, I have never heard of one with pink legs. I did consider the possibility of a rare vagrant, and the bird appears similar to some juvenile Audouin's Gulls although some characteristics do not align. Any gull experts out there?

Not an expert, but I can say it's definitely not a Heerman's Gull or Andouin's gull (Which would be Extremely Rare!). Definitely an interesting (probably rare) gull. Good Luck!

Posted (edited)

that would be a pretty abnormal heermann's gull! I think you might be correct with Iceland gull.

Edited by Bird-Boys

On 8/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, John Landon said:

This is a first year Glaucous-Winged . 

Glaucous-winged Gull would be significantly larger than Heerman's with a heftier bill.

In my opinion, even a juvenile GWGU would be significantly larger than Heerman's. There is a juvenile Western Gull (roughly the same size as a typical GWGU) in the background of one of the pictures and it dwarfs the surrounding Heerman's and the bird in debate. Also, a pure GWGU would have pale rather than dark primaries. I think it is best to leave this bird as unidentified at this point.