Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
David Evans

Unknown Hummingbird

Hope someone can help me with this. I took this picture a couple weeks ago in Santee,Ca  (San Diego county). I can't figure it out. I've looked at every possible bird it can be and came up with nothing. It has a small purple patch on it's wing. Only one I saw. I appreciate the help.

Here is the link to the picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QNrsuMZDPWKxzEcb6

Thank You,

David Evans

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Whatbird!

This looks like a female/immature Black-chinned Hummingbird. Note the green above, whitish below, and lack of orange/buffy tones. Also, this hummingbird is relatively long-billed (the bill has a slight droop) and thin-necked. This hummingbird can be differentiated from the Anna's by the lack of the red central patch on its throat. Costa's have a shorter bill and are plumper. Ruby-throateds do not live in your area. 

I believe the purple patch was just lighting/a photo artifact. Hummingbirds are very iridescent and can look different in different light. 

Edited by akandula

Thank you for the help!  I did notice the longer bill, and knew that Black Chinned was a possibility, but wasn't sure.  Thanks again

Live in Ohio - only get to see the Ruby Throat. I was visiting my sister and bought her a feeder - lot of activity. Also saw some Rufous as well. Here's a nice pic of an Anna's 

DSCN0678.JPG

• Like 1