Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
John Landon

Cuckoo for Cuckoos

The thrushes and cuckoos descended en masses in this sycamore grove , feasting on crawly things. Most of the Cuckoos were Yellow, but one seemed different.No banding on tail, but showing yellow lower mandible ,at least at base. Iris and orbital ring are different.Thanks, Top,Black,no tail banding/iris and ring, bottom Yellow.D9FE1C0B-EE71-4D20-B3AB-C4E25A9B2B24.thumb.jpeg.d9384ae15e3816a2395bb65c15783f3c.jpeg

l

F212F957-9CEC-44C1-9633-E95012944D77.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Very intriguing and fascinating story. Great title too. 🤣

This is definitely a normal Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Note the yellow lower mandible, brown above, white below (I think the yellow is from the lighting), slender, hunchbacked appearance, rufous primaries, and long, white spotted tail. 

I am curious of why you think this is different. The orbital ring is yellow, like usual, (if you are seeing anything else it is probably lighting) and there is not supposed to be banding on the tail. The similar Black-billed Cuckoo has a black bill, no large spots on the tail, and a red/yellow orbital ring. 

Side note: Next time, add the location and date. Thanks!

Edited by akandula

These are 2 different birds. Added the obvious Yellow , with the banded tail, 5AC333B9-2BB0-4692-A68F-555D7D0C7C55.thumb.jpeg.4ac7ba1898bb096cce4f353da4da0e83.jpeg46797F10-1260-4254-9F40-3E056A5CA044.thumb.jpeg.fdb7b08043bd5e9b7d3df47375bb842b.jpegfor comparison. It is probable that they are all Yellow, but immature birds take some extra effort, hence my posting. Additional images, different birds.

I am not really understanding what you are trying to ask. All the images posted are adult/immature Yellow-billed Cuckoos. Black-billed Cuckoos do not have yellow bills. These are also completely wrong for Mangroves. The banding on the tail is so faint that it is not a good field ID mark and varies in different individuals. 

• Like 1