Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Greater Yellowlegs and Wood-Pewee Confirmations.

Today along the southern shoreline of Lake Huron, Ontario.

Fairly sure but the Yellowlegs is new at this location and the Pewee is uncommon so just making sure.

Yellowlegs - I took a lot of photos of this bird and it is interesting that in most shots the bill appeared straight, in a few upturned and in one or two even down-turned!!

Pewee - in a major turf war with a Phoebe - at first glance I thought Olive-sided but long tail, wing markings and yellow on breast so Eastern Wood-Pewee?

Thanks.

Greater Yellowlegs HVT-7220547.jpg

Eastern Wood-Pewee HVT-7220478.jpg

Thanks @blackburnian once again.

As an aside I have occasionally wondered if your whatbird name is origin based (Lancashire?) or bird referenced (not owl or Warbler!!), but feel free to to ignore this personal intrusion.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Thanks @blackburnian once again.

As an aside I have occasionally wondered if your whatbird name is origin based (Lancashire?) or bird referenced (not owl or Warbler!!), but feel free to to ignore this personal intrusion.

Thanks again.

Warbler. Always loved them. I've actually been a member on this site under this name since 2012. It's been fun to watch the people change and the forums grow. Still some old timers around though @Creeker and @birdbrain22 🙂 Now if only we could get Psweet back...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blackburnian said:

Warbler. Always loved them. I've actually been a member on this site under this name since 2012. It's been fun to watch the people change and the forums grow. Still some old timers around though @Creeker and @birdbrain22 🙂 Now if only we could get Psweet back...

Even though I was not a member back then, I was a very regular guest to Whatbird on the old forum (I guessed the ID before scrolling down... I usually got it wrong 😀). I always admired Psweet, especially when he did a bird ID based on individual feathers. He was definitely someone to look up to.