Whatbird Community

while in Yellowstone we had a few others we and Merlin struggled with. Any help with any would be much appreciated!

first was at artists peak and seen from above. Other two randomly around the park

9BE4A003-C3EF-4E53-A8A6-36BDB787E87F.jpeg

8312A563-E65D-4331-BCB2-4EBE9F88EB39.jpeg

2CF1199A-428D-48C5-91A3-452F48567974.jpeg

Posted (edited)
  1. Osprey - Note the brown back and wings, white underparts and face, and broad brown line that goes through the eye, creating a "masked" appearance. Also, not the black hooked beak. 
  2. Song Sparrow - Note the coarse streaks, broad malar stripe, central breast spot, a long, rounded tail, and rounded head. Savannah Sparrows have shorter bills, shorter, notched tails, crisper streaking on the underparts, usually are less reddish overall, and usually show yellow above their eyes.
  3. Female/immature male Common Merganser - Note the thin red bill, reddish head, ragged crest, white chin, gray body, and white, contrasting breast. Red-breasted Merganser females would have a less distinct white breast.
Edited by akandula

Posted (edited)

I'm seeing a thin, pink bill and a short tail (although it might be molting) on the sparrow.  I think it's a Savannah.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

Just now, Canute25 said:

The sparrow is giving me trouble I was even wondering on a Lincoln’s 

I don't think the face is gray enough and the streaking is not thin enough for a Lincoln's.

• Like 1

Okay, TBNs, I am still thinking a Song. I agree that this is not a Lincoln's, but I am still not understanding why you don't think this could be a molting Song. The tail doesn't seem notched, I see a heavy-headed appearance, a much more mottled back, a gray bill, and a steep forehead that is usually in Songs. I didn't think that Savannahs had this structure. I never argued with you before, but I just don't want the wrong ID for the OP. Thanks, and correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

I think the beak is just too thin for a Song, plus the supercilium looks yellowish to me.  I think it would help a lot if we could see the original photo, so we could see the actual colors of the bird.

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think it would help a lot if we could see the original photo, so we could see the actual colors of the bird.

This, times 10, please.