Whatbird Community

I saw this wren today in Northeast Ohio. Photos were taken toward the sun, so not good lighting, the third photo I did auto adjust for the colors which darkened it a bit. Merlin Says Sedge Wren, but I know Merlin can be wrong. 

Wren 1Wren 2Wren auto adjust

I would agree with Merlin and say that this is a Sedge Wren. Based on that streaky upper shoulder, the only two choices can be a Sedge and a Marsh. Sedges differ from Marshes due to the fully barred wings and the lack of obvious white eyebrow. Also, Sedge Wrens are usually lighter in color.

If I am correct, this is a very nice find! This species is normally very hard to spot unless it perches up to sing. Did you see this in a marshy or grassy area? Sedges tend to stick to grassy areas and Marshes in marshes. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, akandula said:

I would agree with Merlin and say that this is a Sedge Wren. Based on that streaky upper shoulder, the only two choices can be a Sedge and a Marsh. Sedges differ from Marshes due to the fully barred wings and the lack of obvious white eyebrow. Also, Sedge Wrens are usually lighter in color.

If I am correct, this is a very nice find! This species is normally very hard to spot unless it perches up to sing. Did you see this in a marshy or grassy area? Sedges tend to stick to grassy areas and Marshes in marshes. 

Yes it was perched up high singing in a grassy area. Thank you! This is a new one for me!

40 minutes ago, bjragucci said:

Yes it was perched up high singing in a grassy area. Thank you! This is a new one for me!

Congrats! They’re really nice birds that are high on many birders’ lists (like mine) 😊