Whatbird Community

Southern Ontario (south tip of Lake Huron) today.

Please put me out of my misery as this (or these) birds are really confusing me.

I posted a couple of weeks ago and the consensus was the two birds were Gadwalls which are quite/very unusual for this location at this time of year (notwithstanding that someone posted an eBird sighting of ( I think fourteen) Gadwalls about 30 minutes away about a week ago).

Two images attached, the second one because of what looks like an "eye ring". Also in the interim the bill colour has changed from orange/black to dark grey/ black.

I'm too old to be embarrassed but if these are just Mallards I may have to find a new hobby.

Thanks.

Duck ID 1 HVT-7220647.jpg

Duck ID 2 HVT-7220654.jpg

Thanks @HamRHead. That may make sense as there is a family in the vicinity which I did see today (although they are typically together as a group). I checked my guides for this as a possibility and nothing showed these body colours or the bill size (Wood Ducks seem to have a relatively small bill compared to the head, especially juveniles and a fairly steep forehead).

I posted the second image because of the Wood Duck eye-ring similarity (possibly a lighting issue) but I am still wondering if this (these) are hybrids. At least you did not say Mallards so I can stick with this as one of my hobbies.

I took another look and I do see a hint of blue on the side so you may well have it but bill size on first image looks wrong. I think I need a guide that shows weekly transitions.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Follow up for @sbutk and @HamRHead only, just to spare my blushes (still think the bill looks large and the white patch a little distracting on the first photo).

I spotted one of the local immatures today (we have just the one family at this location each year). They are very skittish so not great photos but I think this confirms Wood Duck .

Also added one of the original family for fun - how quickly they grow!!

Thanks guys.

Wood Duck imm HVT-7220768.jpg

Wood Duck imm HVT-7220770.jpg

Wood Duck 5 imm HVT-.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, RobinHood said:

Thanks @HamRHead. That may make sense as there is a family in the vicinity which I did see today (although they are typically together as a group). I checked my guides for this as a possibility and nothing showed these body colours or the bill size (Wood Ducks seem to have a relatively small bill compared to the head, especially juveniles and a fairly steep forehead).

I posted the second image because of the Wood Duck eye-ring similarity (possibly a lighting issue) but I am still wondering if this (these) are hybrids. At least you did not say Mallards so I can stick with this as one of my hobbies.

I took another look and I do see a hint of blue on the side so you may well have it but bill size on first image looks wrong. I think I need a guide that shows weekly transitions.

Thanks again.

I certainly agree with the others' judgments on the ID of juvenile Wood Duck.  And to think, only just 5 months ago I saw the first Wood Duck (a pair, actually) of my life.  Babies shortly followed, so I'm quite familiar with those that you've posted here.  Charlie Spencer is right, BTW:  Great shots!  I know myself, we are far too often our own worst critics.  ...Oh, and thanks for the tag!