Whatbird Community

If you can ID this bird your a genius

@Administrator just bought ibirdphotosleuth. Loving the app. It’s mostly right. Only issue is it’s difficult to start over after selecting “yes” or “no” This is my bird. After I email, I have to push the “back” arrow multiple times to submit another shot. It would be nice if there were a button to “submit another bird” after finishing the first submission. Just an idea.

Actually, I just found the “home” button. It’s hard to see as I’m using my iPad Pro and the alignment is all messed up. I would still think it would be a little better to have a “new submission” button at the end. It’s extremely difficult to “crop” the photos and  difficult to use if I turn the IPad sideways for a widescreen configuration. Works great on my IPhone though.

17 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Young Gray Catbird.

To all three of you experts--The Bird Nuts, Jabird and Akiley--color me very impressed:  Man trumps machine and soundly.
Photo Sleuth gave the Gray Catbird a 3rd place with a confidence of only 1%. See attached. It was almost sure the bird was a Mourning Warbler (94% confident).
I'm going to have to see if we can figure out what it made such a poor guess. Might be we did not have a lot of good training data for this species.

Anyway thanks to you all, I'm amazed you could figure this out from such an awful photo.

IMG_1307.png

8 hours ago, TooFly said:

Actually, I just found the “home” button. It’s hard to see as I’m using my iPad Pro and the alignment is all messed up. I would still think it would be a little better to have a “new submission” button at the end. It’s extremely difficult to “crop” the photos and  difficult to use if I turn the IPad sideways for a widescreen configuration. Works great on my IPhone though.

Your right the home icon in the upper right of the screen is kind of difficult to see, probably because of the light blue on white color. 
The app is not optimized for the iPad and I am sure that makes it difficult to crop, and the iPad Pro is a huge screen which again means that you are seeing a real compromise. We just need to write a native code version for the iPad and all these issues will go away. But right now we want to focus on getting Sleuth into iBird Pro as a free trial because a) we think there are a huge number of iBird Pro folks who don't know the app exists and b) Apple now allows free trials and so it will make Sleuth super easy to try out.

Anyway TooFly I very much appreciate your feedback on the app. We just submitted a new update to Apple--version 1.2 build 8--that has a button which lets you submit your photos to this very forum. I think it will be very useful to our customers provided our experts find the post 🙂 

@Administrator All in all, great app! even if it’s not the bird that’s suggested or even right 100%...yet...it still usually gets you close and in seconds. I’m amazed. I think it has potential in the future to go big with something like Google glasses. Imagine, your out in the field, the glasses see the bird before you do and tell you what it is immediately. Boom💥 !!! That just happen!!! This could change birding, for those who want to bird the easy way that is!

2 hours ago, Administrator said:

Anyway TooFly I very much appreciate your feedback on the app. We just submitted a new update to Apple--version 1.2 build 8--that has a button which lets you submit your photos to this very forum. I think it will be very useful to our customers provided our experts find the post 🙂 

Is it really necessary to have two ID forums for North American birds?  Good chance of duplicate posts that way with neither one getting the attention they deserve. Just more stray thoughts. See the other thread for more stray thoughts.

Edited by lonestranger
Clarity

1 hour ago, TooFly said:

@Administrator All in all, great app! even if it’s not the bird that’s suggested or even right 100%...yet...it still usually gets you close and in seconds. I’m amazed. I think it has potential in the future to go big with something like Google glasses. Imagine, your out in the field, the glasses see the bird before you do and tell you what it is immediately. Boom💥 !!! That just happen!!! This could change birding, for those who want to bird the easy way that is!

Interesting you mention Google Glass. We developed exactly what you described for Glass, invested in a bunch of Sergey's hardware, only to have Google totally drop the entire effort and leave all us developers in a lurch. Lost a lot of credibility with me and my friends. See Glass Birds.

One thing you can do that will really help iBird Photo Sleuth is to leave a review in the app store for the product. Reviews are a bottom line lie detector and help people know if they can trust parting with coin. And thanks again for your uplifting comments. Really makes my day.

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

Is it really necessary to have two ID forums for North American birds?  Good chance of duplicate posts that way with neither one getting the attention they deserve. Just more stray thoughts. See the other thread for more stray thoughts.

Yes it is necessary. This forum is specifically for iBird Photo Sleuth. The forum is built into the app, but loosely right now. If the forum in the app ends up getting traction (more popular) we will more tightly integrate and automate it. The only reason there is a duplicate post is because I wasn't hearing from the main forum experts and wanted them to dive in. Now that thats accomplished I will delete the post in the BIRDING group, as its just a jump to get here.

10 minutes ago, Administrator said:

The only reason there is a duplicate post is because I wasn't hearing from the main forum experts and wanted them to dive in.

That is the point I was trying to make. I suspect the photo sleuth users will be doing the exact same thing, getting frustrated waiting for replies in their exclusive forum and reposting to the main ID forum where the experts are more likely to see their inquiry and provide a prompt reply. Just sharing thoughts here, not trying to be difficult.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Administrator said:

I'm going to have to see if we can figure out what it made such a poor guess.

Does the app care about orientation of the photo?

If it processes inverted photos the same as upright ones, the green leaf could easily be mistaken for the warbler's back, the dark Catbird rump confused with the warbler's blue nape and neck, the dark shadow on the back for the warbler's dark chest, the splotch of sunlight with a yellow belly.

Or not.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

That is the point I was trying to make. I suspect the photo sleuth users will be doing the exact same thing, getting frustrated waiting for replies in their exclusive forum and reposting to the main ID forum where the experts are more likely to see their inquiry and provide a prompt reply. Just sharing thoughts here, not trying to be difficult.

I think they were trying to stop “beginners” and “enthusiasts” from responding...leaving it to the experts.

5 hours ago, TooFly said:

I think they were trying to stop “beginners” and “enthusiasts” from responding...leaving it to the experts.

I see the point @Administratorwas trying to make about more expert birders seeing the post rather than beginners, but how is that accomplished by having the posts exist in a separate forum??  I'm not seeing how that would make any difference, and doing that would actually complicate things, IMO. 

38 minutes ago, akiley said:

I see the point @Administratorwas trying to make about more expert birders seeing the post rather than beginners, but how is that accomplished by having the posts exist in a separate forum??  I'm not seeing how that would make any difference, and doing that would actually complicate things, IMO. 

Check this post out...you can see where the idea of two separate spots originated or at least was discussed...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Hopefully when there is more activity in the iBird forum, the people who care about helping will check it out and not leave them hanging. 

19 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Does the app care about orientation of the photo?

If it processes inverted photos the same as upright ones, the green leaf could easily be mistaken for the warbler's back, the dark Catbird rump confused with the warbler's blue nape and neck, the dark shadow on the back for the warbler's dark chest, the splotch of sunlight with a yellow belly.

Or not.  :classic_biggrin:

The orientation of the photo has a little influence on the ID but not very much. What is more important is its cropping. The way the AI training works it learns to understands the image in ways that even the experts who build the machine language don't understand! But there is only so much time the person submitting the photo to iBird Sleuth is going to spend preparing the photo. The bottom line however, if you look at the reviews of iBird Photo Sleuth, is that is extremely accurate in spite of these issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopsing129 said:

Sorry to add to this thread with a somewhat unrelated topic.  I use (and love) iBird for my android phone.  Does iBird Sleuth work on androids??

Thanks for your products

Rick

Hi Rick. Thanks for the comments, we really appreciate hearing from customers on this forum. Right now Sleuth only works on Apple products. We want to bring it to Android, but there are a bunch of other things we are working on for Android right now, so it might not happen for a while. In fact we just launched an update of all 5 Android versions of iBird which will be announced in our newsletter.