Whatbird Community
geoffclarke

What Sandpiper? SE Michigan, Lake Erie

2 hours ago, cvanbosk said:

White-rumped is my guess. Little bit larger than the least, and with the eye stripe.

Did not consider it. It doesn't look like the wing tips extend past the tail. I'll look at the other pics I have and maybe post them here.

I don't think it is a White-rumped. They would have brown/orange coloring on the base of the lower mandible...present in all plumages, although it can be faint. And as mentioned, the wings should be longer. At the same time, I don't have any experience with Semipalmated. So...wait for more input.

• Like 1

wings are too short for white rumped.  Leg color is hard to determine but I'm leaning least

• Like 1

Second image, the  back leg out from the shadows is light. The wing tips do not extend past tail. The rufous on back and the slightly down curved thick bill says Least.

• Like 1

For those saying Least, the bird appears to be larger than the Least in the bottom right of the first photo.  Do we attribute the difference to camera angle?

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

For those saying Least, the bird appears to be larger than the Least in the bottom right of the first photo.  Do we attribute the difference to camera angle?

I only see one photo of the bird in question.  Photo 2 is just a blow up of the bird in the first photo

1 hour ago, hbvol50 said:

I only see one photo of the bird in question.  Photo 2 is just a blow up of the bird in the first photo

I think Charlie is referring to the nearly invisible "Least" to the lower right of the bird in question. It is in a sitting position. Is the apparent size of that bird useful in identifying the "larger" peep?

Least Sandpiper from whatbird.JPG

• Like 1

I agree that this is a Semipalmated Sandpiper. Aside from being larger and less colorful than the Least, it has a rather short, blunt-tipped, tubular bill, whereas the bill of a Least would be thinner and slightly drooped.

One more vote for semipalm.  Thicker, shorter, straighter bill.  Dark legs.  More gray than the rich brown least.  Wings too short for white-rumped.