Whatbird Community

Newport CA and Bullhead City Az.

These three are from the colorado river Bullhead City, AZ.

I think they are two different species, I doubt a third but I forgot my ID book any help is appreciated.

Sand.jpg.6b16ee10b4fcf81f6e2f8f514d1334fb.jpgSandBrown.jpg.feb89c312489319f924125f733e4df25.jpgSandgray.jpg.5610103dbe57e83798bd757a83f13f15.jpg

California Towhee?

Towhee.thumb.jpg.36b6e88491299bd884e9158414c5afa8.jpg 

The Tern I think is a Royal and the raptor I'm 99% is a Kestrel.  

I think this is a Royal Tern:  Newport Beach, CA

243913724_Tern1.thumb.jpg.6cdc9bb76cce0df5e82fe85fdfa1f4ff.jpg239546040_Tern2.thumb.jpg.ed21346a73da57a88821c41a36755d07.jpg

American Kestrel Bullhead City

Kestral.jpg.aae23b6f328dea58d9c8c27ddfe1df29.jpg692906879_Kestral.thumb.jpg.88cd9a82f4366e32b1f044a629a400c3.jpg

Towhee.jpg

1. Killdeer - note long wings and tail and two black breast bands.
  2. Canyon Towhee - note thick bill, long tail, brown overall, buffy eyering, and rufous patch under tail. California Towhee lives farther west.
  3. Nonbreeding adult Caspian Tern - note large red bill and black underside of primary feathers. Nonbreeding Royal Terns would show less black on the underside of the primary feathers and a more extensive white on the head (not just a white forehead).
  4. Yes, adult male American Kestrel - While adult males have a rusty above, bluish wings, buffy underparts, spotted overall, and a black band on the orange tail, females/immatures have a rusty overall, black barring on the reddish-brown back/wings, brown-streaked pale underparts, and a barred orange tail. Note the very small size and two black slashes on the head in both sexes.
Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, akandula said:
  1. Killdeer - note long wings and tail and two black breast bands.
  2. Canyon Towhee - note thick bill, long tail, brown overall, buffy eyering, and rufous patch under tail. California Towhee lives farther west.
  3. Nonbreeding adult Caspian Tern - note large red bill and black underside of primary feathers. Nonbreeding Royal Terns would show less black on the underside of the primary feathers and a more extensive white on the head (not just a white forehead).
  4. Yes, adult male American Kestrel - While adult males have a rusty above, bluish wings, buffy underparts, spotted overall, and a black band on the orange tail, females/immatures have a rusty overall, black barring on the reddish-brown back/wings, brown-streaked pale underparts, and a barred orange tail. Note the very small size and two black slashes on the head in both sexes.

Sorry, the towhee actually looks better for an Abert's due to the black face and pale bill. California would have a buffy face, and Canyon would have a plain face.

Edited by akandula