Whatbird Community
sbutk

Edwin B. Forsythe NWR – Gull IDs

Hi again,

Is anyone able to help me sort out the identity of these gulls?  I have some guesses - For #2 and 3, Herring Gull; yet drawing a blank on all the rest - but of course I'd appreciate being set straight by the “experts” out there.  All shots were from Edwin B. Forsythe NWR in late August.

Thanks!

48666336518_638deeb1ba_b.jpgP2230380e by sbutk, on Flickr

48666678031_24dd127528_b.jpgP2230423e by sbutk, on Flickr

48666336308_bd161c8ec3_b.jpgP2230604e by sbutk, on Flickr

48666677691_903ee4a7c7_b.jpgP2240035e by sbutk, on Flickr

48666335893_5276c30d47_b.jpgP2240633e by sbutk, on Flickr

Sounds like I got 2 of the easier ones correct.  Some of the other photos were admittedly distant or of relatively poor quality.  Thanks!

On 9/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, akiley said:

1) Laughing

2) Herring

3) Herring

4-5) Laughing

Hi again…

One more sighting I’ve been curious about:  These 3 birds in the bottom of the photo [from another birder’s camera, because the same scene came out clearer than on my own] look at first like they could be juvenile Laughing Gulls.  But when I compare them to others in the photo - e.g. on the Left - these unidentified birds are smaller and lack the same black highlights on the tail.  So I’m guessing at this point that they’re probably a different species.  Any thoughts? 

48722544121_fecb25de5b_b.jpgDSC_3005er by sbutk, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure those are sandpipers, not gulls, but I can't be more accurate than that at the moment.  I don't think gulls have eye lines, but I've been wrong lots lately.  Either way, I'm sure someone will nail them down before I can get home and access my ID resources.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm pretty sure those are sandpipers, not gulls, but I can't be more accurate than that at the moment.  I don't think gulls have eye lines, but I've been wrong lots lately.  Either way, I'm sure someone will nail them down before I can get home and access my ID resources.

Indeed. Those are Dowitchers with their bills tucked in. Look like SB to me but any other pics?

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

59 minutes ago, akiley said:

Indeed. Those are Dowitchers with their bills tucked in. Look like SB to me but any other pics?

No.  Not that show the birds any more clearly, anyway.  I wouldn't be all that surprise if they weren't some of the same Dowitchers you and I were wrangling over in one of our previous discussions, just in different positions.

So I will assume these guys are Short-billed Dowitchers.  They're able to "tuck in" bills that are that long?  Wow, color me impressed!  😁

Thank you both for your help!

51 minutes ago, sbutk said:

Thank you both for your help!

Don't look at me; @akiley did all the heavy lifting.  I just said they weren't gulls.  Saying what they aren't is a lot easier than saying what they are!

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Don't look at me; @akiley did all the heavy lifting.  I just said they weren't gulls.  Saying what they aren't is a lot easier than saying what they are!

Haha.  Modesty isn't a quality that's lost on us birders, that's for sure.  ...You do make a good point, though!