Whatbird Community

Just a note:

I just got an email from Ebird reviewer regarding these photos.  They are saying that the since none of the breast spots or facial markings are black, it's a veery

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hbvol50 said:

Just a note:

I just got an email from Ebird reviewer regarding these photos.  They are saying that the since none of the breast spots or facial markings are black, it's a veery

Your reviewer is correct. This is a Veery for those two reasons. It's early for GCTH also.

18 minutes ago, akiley said:

Your reviewer is correct. This is a Veery for those two reasons. It's early for GCTH also.

Crossley says gray-checked is the earliest migrating thrush, heading south in August

I got additional information from the eBird reviewer that he had the same situation on some of his thrush ID's.  also he sent this info:  "The former state ornithologist told me that when he was banding in Tennessee he had a Gray-cheeked Thrush that was very odd - enough that he sent a blood sample off to see if it might be a Western subspecies  - but it came back as Veery. Not a Gray-cheeked at all. So yeah, they can be really hard, especially in the Fall. "

I agree with Veery here. The Newfoundland population/race is much browner overall and darker in the face. We have banded some and they look nothing like the "typical" veery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdbrain22 said:

I agree with Veery here. The Newfoundland population/race is much browner overall and darker in the face. We have banded some and they look nothing like the "typical" veery

Interesting.

1 hour ago, blackburnian said:

I will say the color in the photo seems not totally true to reality. I can see this as a Veery upon looking at it again.

Yes I think you are right, taken in deep shade