Whatbird Community
Sibejay

Californian experts please. Last two unidentified I have, Santa Barbara county may/june

Hi

I've posted these before in mixed mails but these are the only unidentified US birds I'm left with at the moment.

The Oriole is distant but doesn't look structured like Bullocks does it? Are there Hooded with all dark heads and pale yellow underparts? Sorry the Pic a bit distant but best I could get of it. Don't know what variation you get in Scotts. I've seen Bullock's and Hooded is very common, it didn't strike me as either but got it just after arriving so really not clued up at that point.

The Hummer is really short-tailed, based on what I've seen it's not structured like the commoner species I've seen in numbers. Based on Sibley and the range it's Costa's or Calliope. please assist. I need both but not sure.

Many thanks

Oriole 1.JPG

hummer_n.JPG

ok, I've just spent an age checking hummers on line n found some real short tailed Anna's so now could be that. Sorry, Brit with no hummer before my work trip. Too busy in the office not enough time in the field.....must try harder;~)

• Like 1

Your Oriole looks good for Scott's ( uncommon so nice find! ) and your hummer looks good for Costa's,  with that dumpy posture, white collar, wingtip to tail ratio, and slightly downcurved bill.

• Like 1