Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
tclarkwood

Can't Wait for Summer to End!!!

There hasn't been much to talk about on the forum this summer so I'm hoping the Fall will bring in new interests and conversations like it usually does when the migration starts.   I've been seeing some different hummingbirds at my feeder so I guess some of them are starting to move south.  The temperature is still very high and we haven't had a lot of rain in my area. Our red-shouldered hawks fledged 2 babies back in July and they left the property. The bluebirds only did 2 broods this year. It has just been a ho hum summer so maybe some excitement is just around the corner?  Be sure and post any migration observations that you have.  We may want to start a Fall Migration subject in October. 

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of the old members have moved on to other sites.  There have been too many forum crashes and that can be really discouraging.  That's too bad.  I really like this forum, but it is not the same without some of the members from the old forum. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase membership?  It would be great to restore this forum to its glory days.

as for my local area, I was able to see a Yellow Warbler in my backyard for the first. time. ever.  Migration is great.  We also have a resident Crow "family" that love our sunflower chips.  They are fun to watch.   We have a swampy area within  1/4 mile so we get a lot of flyover Ducks and Herons.  We are far enough south that many of they stay through the winter.

I had just written across last week on the calendar  "fall harvest has begun" because my BOSS consumption has really dwindled to about half of what it was. Seems the activity has really cut down so much. We are still having really hot weather here too. Been in the high 90's and by now we are supposed to be in the mid to low 80's, and we've had no rain to speak of. Still going thru suet and peanuts for the Blujays and Cardinals, and the occasional Titmouse, but most of what was here during the summer months has been out scouting the landscape it seems. I walked out to the back of the lot yesterday and there are red berries all over the fence.

Now the hummingbirds are still around. I still have 4 feeders out that are being used regularly. Looks like a lot of migration traffic to me. Evenings seem really busy right before dark.

The only way that I know to make a good forum like the old days is for those of us that still visit here once a week to be dedicated to talking about things that are interesting and asking questions to generate discussion.  Other than that, I don't know what else can be done.  We have to build this forum up and hope that the site does not crash anymore.  I think we will have a lot more discussion once we start our Fall Migration topic up.   Its still a little early but as soon as we start seeing movement, one of us should start the conversation.   It's been pretty slow around my back yard.  At least the temperature is supposed to drop below 90 tomorrow!  Hope we are through with the 90s!!!!