Whatbird Community
nevsar

Orange-crowned Warbler? (From MA)

Does this look like an orange-crowned warbler? The bird was yellow-olive overall, had a thin/pointy bill, had a white eyering (did not see if it was broken or not), and appears to have yellow undertail coverts (from the photos). Even by elimination, I am leaning towards an orange-crowned. What do you think?

DSC01206.thumb.jpg.ee451df3a7a7c718ae4981d149332e20.jpgDSC01202.thumb.jpg.9dfab1fbbd8e62b6ba5ae401e151444c.jpgDSC01201.thumb.jpg.42bbc2beeda24db4d525c5a4ec9c2a15.jpg

I believe the white in the undertail eliminates Orange-crowned.  I'm leaning Pine Warbler due to the facial pattern, brownish color on top, and the undertail pattern.  The bill doesn't appear very thin to me, at least not in these photos.

Did you see any wingbars?  The wingbars might be hidden by other feathers in these photos.  And I suppose the yellow in the undertail coverts could be color reflected from the surroundings.

I don't have any concrete reasons, but it just didn't seem right for a pine warbler. This one definitely had a bold white eyering (I know immature pine warblers also have it). And from what I recollect, it had no wing bars. I also recollect seeing a thin bill (it probably appears thick because of the way I took the photo). Similarly, I think the white undertail you see might be due to lighting issues. The other birders with me floated the possibility of a Tennessee warbler (However, I don't think it was). 

Not sure if it helps, but here are two more photos:

DSC01205.thumb.jpg.44e0b99d45aa649fb834b5fcc6ab735a.jpgDSC01203.thumb.jpg.6a2548bd3cfeae0d99cdd28dd42caf12.jpg

When in doubt, go with Pine Warbler. 😉 Actually, the large white tail spots immediately rule out Orange-crowned and a host of other non-Setophaga warbler species.