Whatbird Community

1 minute ago, akiley said:

I don't like the color or structure here for Acadian. I think it's fine for Pewee.

Okay, thanks!  I thought it might not be green enough, but I don't have any experience with Acadian, so I thought I'd ask.

• Like 1

Wings sure seem short for a pewee.  I could see it as an Acadian

Edited by hbvol50

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Okay, thanks!  I thought it might not be green enough, but I don't have any experience with Acadian, so I thought I'd ask.

I'd also say that in my experience Acadians tend to be more olive-green, a lighter shade that this appears here. But they eyering is interesting.

12 hours ago, akiley said:

I'd also say that in my experience Acadians tend to be more olive-green, a lighter shade that this appears here. But they eyering is interesting.

This bird .was being lit by the rising sun and the photos make it look much redder or "browner" that it really was.  In person, the bird was gray.

13 hours ago, akiley said:

I meant that I didn't think it was green enough to be an Acadian.  Sorry for the confusion!  Isn't it a little large-headed for a Wood-Pewee, though?  Is it possible that it is molting making the primary projection look longer?

Edited by The Bird Nuts

6 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I meant that I didn't think it was green enough to be an Acadian.  Sorry for the confusion!  Isn't it a little large-headed for a Wood-Pewee, though?  Is it possible that it is molting making the primary projection look longer?

I'm not sure. The head shape is interesting. Acadian and Pewee should have similar length primaries though right?

2 minutes ago, akiley said:

I'm not sure. The head shape is interesting. Acadian and Pewee should have similar length primaries though right?

Yeah, I understand that both have long primary projection, but I was wondering if it could be a Least.

15 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yeah, I understand that both have long primary projection, but I was wondering if it could be a Least.

I'm leaving it as a Least and we will see what eBird says😉

This is definitely not a Least. Structure, head shape and primaries rule that species out sufficiently. I still say Pewee, but Acadian is the other option.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

I'd go with a wood-pewee, as the legs are too short to be that of an Acadian. All members of the genus Contopus are short-legged, while most Empidonax have fairly long legs. Interestingly, Hammond's has relatively short legs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

I'd go with a wood-pewee, as the legs are too short to be that of an Acadian. All members of the genus Contopus are short-legged, while most Empidonax have fairly long legs. Interestingly, Hammond's has relatively short legs.

Thanks, Tony. I'm glad to have you back. I really appreciate your expertise on here.

• Like 1