Whatbird Community

I'm leaning toward Bay-breasted on this one.  The streaking is a bit more prominent than I would expect to see on an Orange-crowned and the color is more tan-yellow rather than greenish-yellow.

It's not a Pine - they have dark cheeks, more prominent eye arcs, and blurrier streaking.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Melierax said:

Okay. See, don't trust me! Haha

Not a problem. I find most people here usually say when they are not sure which is fine and for me part of the learning experience.

The different opinions are really helpful and the more participants the merrier.

I still don't think any of the images for Bay-breasted in my guides look like my bird so I am going to do some more research.

All the best.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

...I still don't think any of the images for Bay-breasted in my guides look like my bird so I am going to do some more research...

I know what you mean. I keep coming back to Blackpoll. I'm guessing this is the only shot?

19 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

I know what you mean. I keep coming back to Blackpoll. I'm guessing this is the only shot?

This is definitely a nonbreeding female/immature male Bay-breasted. Blackpolls would have orange feet/legs (Bay-breasted shows no hint of yellow/orange on the feet/legs), the green on the head and underparts would be more olive, and this species also has a yellower base of the bill. I can also see a hint of the "bay" color on the flanks of this bird, which says Bay-breasted. The streaking on the underparts of both species is fairly variable, and bird shown here seems to show a little more streaking than the "average" Bay-breasted, but this does not mean it is not a Bay-breasted.

More information on separating the "Baypolls": https://ebird.org/news/baypoll

Edited by akandula

5 minutes ago, akandula said:

This is definitely a nonbreeding female/immature male Bay-breasted. Blackpolls would have orange feet/legs, the green on the head and underparts would be more olive, and have a yellower base of the bill. I can also see a hint of the "bay" color on the flanks of this bird, which says Bay-breasted.

More information on separating the "Baypolls": https://ebird.org/news/baypoll

Of course! I figured there was some glaring reason why it couldn't be a Blackpoll. :classic_blush:

@HamRHead. Yes the only one and I was lucky to get that, really skittish and staying deep in the trees.

I found this article.

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/id-tips-blackpoll-bay-breasted-warblers/

So colour of feet may be a key identifier but Blackpoll versus Bay-breasted appears to be a challenge.

Oops. haven't read what @akandula said yet but may be backup.

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 2