Whatbird Community
Karen00

ID small bird (olive/green top and yellow breast/belly)

Hello all,

I live in Toronto and just had a visitor to my yard that I have never seen before. It's small bird (a bit smaller than a sparrow) and appears to be olive/green on top with yellow tones on the breast/belly, has a white (maybe tan) eye ring and long, narrow bill. At first I thought it was a female/juvenile Goldfinch but when I zoomed in with my camera I didn't see the familiar wing markings of a Goldfinch and the bill looked different. Also the body shape of this bird looks different from a Goldfinch. This bird is roundish.

I'm thinking a female Connecticut Warbler. My area is along their migration path.

I have attached a picture. My apologies for the quality. This bird kept to the shadows and at the far reaches of my zoom lens.

Thanks.

Karen

bird-unknown.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to Whatbird. This is a Common Yellowthroat. A Connecticut Warbler would have a slightly more prominent eye-ring and less contrast between the face and the throat.

• Like 1

@HamRHead and @The Bird Nuts... thank you so much for the speedy reply!! The male of this species is certainly a beauty. I hope to see one of those as well! I keep a running list of new birds to my yard each year so this can be added. I just looked up their range and they certainly are common. 🙂

Thanks again!

Karen