Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

 

Hi all -- I'm in Chapel Hill, NC and just saw this (small) sparrow-sized creature out the kitchen window near the feeders. Best photo I could get before the battery died, but I could see no pale markings up front. Only the bill and legs stood out from the rest, a somewhat mottled dark blue/black. It flew to the ground, poked around a few seconds under the feeders and then was gone.

Any help with I.D. is much appreciated.

eVwjHma.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure this is an escaped exotic.  It is definitely not a junco (the beak is much too thick for one thing).  Maybe someone with more experience with pet birds will be able to tell you what it is.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

This is one of the Indigobirds... my guess would be Dusky

or Village or one of the other species that look identical! lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure this is an escaped exotic.  It is definitely not a junco (the beak is much too thick for one thing).  Maybe someone with more experience with pet birds will be able to tell you what it is.

 

Thanks TBN and BB22!  And great calls...I never would have looked to Africa for an ID.  Wondering if it could be a village indigobird from the more inconspicuous wing markings.

Anyway, I've never come across an exotic escape in this yard except for one budgie, so this is pretty interesting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

or Village or one of the other species that look identical! lol

  Just saw this...yes, looks like it. They are all super-similar. 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Whatbird and nice bird!

I agree with an Indigobird sp. I just wanted to make a note that the only Indigobird sp. that I have heard of that was recorded of escaping captivity and found on other continents (such as U.S. and U.K.) is the Village, as it is the most widespread Indigobird. I am not guaranteeing you that this bird is a Village Indigobird, but all I am saying is that it is the single species I would bet on for this escaped pet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, akandula said:

Welcome to Whatbird and nice bird!

I agree with an Indigobird sp. I just wanted to make a note that the only Indigobird sp. that I have heard of that was recorded of escaping captivity and found on other continents (such as U.S. and U.K.) is the Village, as it is the most widespread Indigobird. I am not guaranteeing you that this bird is a Village Indigobird, but all I am saying is that it is the single species I would bet on for this escaped pet.

Yeah I am not sure if one is more popular in pet trade or not. I just knew it was an Indigobird and forgot how many species there were... and then I looked and made my second post. I think there may have been relatively recent splits into some new species too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...