Whatbird Community
RobinHood

I lied - this is my last one for today (Warbler?)

Southern Ontario today.

Another one deep in the woods/shade (ISO 20,000). The only decent image I could get.

I've just decided to get more serious about birding so any ID insights appreciated.

Thanks.

Warbler ID HVT-.jpg

This is a nonbreeding adult/immature Bay-breasted Warbler. Note the large, bulky appearance. While breeding males have a black face, tan patch on the neck, and chestnut crown, throat, and flanks, breeding females are duller. Nonbreeding females/immatures often have peachy flanks, a yellow-green head, and unstreaked underparts. Nonbreeding males have chestnut flanks and streaked upperparts.

The similar Blackpoll Warbler has orange legs/feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @akandula, just the response I was looking for. I often struggle with the underside views of birds, often all that is available - was it the general body structure that guided you to this ID, or more perhaps your experience?

Much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Thanks @akandula, just the response I was looking for. I often struggle with the underside views of birds, often all that is available - was it the general body structure that guided you to this ID, or more perhaps your experience?

Much appreciated.

Yes, I don't have the best habits of a birder, but I think I'm getting there! I barely saw any of the birds that I try to ID on this forum (I have never seen a Bay-breasted), so I have no idea about calls. Because I look at birds a lot on this forum and on the internet, I get an overall feel for the birds based on the plumage of them. I pretty much ID'd this bird in less than a second - I saw the peachy flanks, black feet, and the overall feel immediately said Bay-breasted. However, a better way to get to know birds is to see them in real life. This is why I am pretty bad at birds in the field/bad photos.

Seeing the birds over and over again helps one get better at the species. Good resources, like the Warbler Guide website (http://blog.press.princeton.edu/2013/07/25/downloadable-warbler-guide-quick-finders/) and app as well as a good field guide like Sibley can help you get better at warblers. This might help you with other birds as well: https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/1613-resources-for-noobs/&tab=comments#comment-8212. www.allaboutbirds.org is especially helpful.

14 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I agree with Bay-breasted Warbler.  I never thought they appeared large and bulky, though. 🤔

Sorry, I meant to say that breeding males appear large and bulky.

• Like 1

Thanks @akandula for the more detailed feedback. Your responses and the level of detail provided on this site are always extremely helpful. Appreciate the references which I will investigate.

I use NatGeo and Sibley guides mostly but for the Bay-breasted the reference to streaking on the underparts was a little understated or non-existent, so I was not sure, but I acknowledge guides can only do so much.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I agree with Bay-breasted Warbler.

Thanks @The Bird Nuts. I was about to try and drag more info from you on ID but will be content with the confirmation (my guide books are not clear on Bay-breasted underside streaking).

Much appreciated.