Whatbird Community

I took these photos at Confederation Park, Calgary, AB, Canada on Sep. 2, 2019. I think these are all Alder Flycatchers although the first one has a strange eyering. Am I right?

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7440.JPG

Yes, they are Traill's Flycatchers.  They look like Alders to me, but I'm not sure we can rule out Willow without knowing what it sounded like.

• Confused 1

These are all classic Alder Flycatchers, 100%. Traill's types with greenish back, flat head, strong wingbars, compact shape, etc. You'd be hard-pressed to find more textbook looking Alders. Nice birds. 

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

@akiley. Just wondering (you are one of my handful of "go to persons" for solid IDs on this site). Is this primarily based on location as Calgary appears to be close to the northern limit for Willows?, so Alder would seem to be by far the most obvious candidate.

Regards.

Thank you very much, everybody. I was visiting Calgary from Vancouver and flycatchers caused headache to me because there seemed to be more variety in Alberta than in Vancouver...(^^;). Anyway, I am learning a lot from you. Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

@akiley. Just wondering (you are one of my handful of "go to persons" for solid IDs on this site). Is this primarily based on location as Calgary appears to be close to the northern limit for Willows?, so Alder would seem to be by far the most obvious candidate.

Regards.

Yes, there probably shouldn't be many Willows at this location, but more visually. Traill's can be tough but they're not completely identical. Each end of the spectrum has fairly distinct looks. Many are best left unidentified, but you photographed classic Alders. In contrast, Willows are more grayish rather than rich green on the back, have a slightly peaked or crested head, weaker eyering and wingbars, and a more elongated look (slightly pewee-like), where Alders tend to look more compact. 

• Like 1

Thanks @akiley. You came through again, fascinating and I will keep this for future reference although I suspect the Traill's issue will not go away for me, and probably many others.

BTW. Not my photos, just an interested bystander.

Regards.