Whatbird Community
BarbetSmith

Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs?

Looking for opinions. This bird looked a little too small-billed for Greater to me, though I heard a Greater call coming from its general direction, and Greater is a little more common than Lesser here (Last Mountain Lake, Saskatchewan).

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190920_183405355b.jpg

IMG_20190920_183414944b.jpg

15 hours ago, akandula said:

I like Greater Yellowlegs over here, due to the long, slightly upturned bill and long neck.

The bill looks long to you? I see the upturned bill, but I thought it looked short.

7 minutes ago, BarbetSmith said:

The bill looks long to you? I see the upturned bill, but I thought it looked short.

There are variations in Bill length, apparently more so in Greater Yellowlegs than in Lesser. To me this looks on the shorter side for a Greater. I would personally have a little trouble calling this one. But that's just me.

FWIW here's an interesting page from Sibley: https://www.sibleyguides.com/2012/07/why-are-yellowlegs-hard-to-identify

On 9/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, HamRHead said:

There are variations in Bill length, apparently more so in Greater Yellowlegs than in Lesser. To me this looks on the shorter side for a Greater. I would personally have a little trouble calling this one. But that's just me.

FWIW here's an interesting page from Sibley: https://www.sibleyguides.com/2012/07/why-are-yellowlegs-hard-to-identify

Thanks! I'll check that out!