Whatbird Community

I can't get to eBird this morning on multiple devices.  

Also, their app on my tablet updated.  At least one new feature (regional databases) says it can't download because it can't connect.  My locations are accessible but choosing one doesn't download a checklist.

Smells like they're doing some work.  FYI, you might want to update the app on your devices before you hit the field again.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

7 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

And now it's up.  If I had known that a post was all it took to fix it, I would have said something an hour ago.

Since the big update, I haven't been able to upload media on my PC. Tech thinks the problem is on my end. It probably is because I can update media from a laptop. Still frustrating because I have no idea how to fix it. I like the update on my phone. 

While I do think the problem is at your end, I don't know why using one device would prevent you from uploading media on another.  Do you get any error messages?

In your checklist, do you get the 'Manage Media' button in the upper right?  If you do, when you click 'Add Media', does it open a window to let you find the media file?

Have you tried another web browser (IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.)?

To add to what Charlie just said, I have had problems in the past using ad blockers and pop-up blocker.  Seems like my problem was with check-list sharing, but still, something to consider.

• Like 1

Oh, pop-up blockers!  I wonder if one is keeping the file selection window from opening after clicking 'Add Media'???

I honestly have never used the manage media button. I always just go to the species edit and add media from there.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

While I do think the problem is at your end, I don't know why using one device would prevent you from uploading media on another.  Do you get any error messages?

In your checklist, do you get the 'Manage Media' button in the upper right?  If you do, when you click 'Add Media', does it open a window to let you find the media file?

Have you tried another web browser (IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.)?

1 hour ago, JP48 said:

To add to what Charlie just said, I have had problems in the past using ad blockers and pop-up blocker.  Seems like my problem was with check-list sharing, but still, something to consider.

I did have Ghostery installed on which I had whitelisted eBird. Just to make sure it wasn't the problem, I uninstalled it. I do get the add media window. I also tried drag-and-drop. In both cases I get an error message that the file type is not accepted. I tried .jpg, .png. and .gif, which are supposed to be the accepted file types. I also tried it in safe mode with networking. Same result. My laptop, which works, is configured the same way--Windows 7-64, IE11.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melierax said:

I honestly have never used the manage media button. I always just go to the species edit and add media from there.

Have you tried that since the update? That's the way I always did in the past, but now it works differently.

1 hour ago, akiley said:

@Charlie Spencer are you on Android?

Desktop is Windows 10 and Vivaldi (a Chrome variant), Samsung tablet is Android and newly released Vivaldi app (was using Chrome), phone is company-issued Apple / IOS 13 and Safari.

2 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I did have Ghostery installed on which I had whitelisted eBird. Just to make sure it wasn't the problem, I uninstalled it. I do get the add media window. I also tried drag-and-drop. In both cases I get an error message that the file type is not accepted. I tried .jpg, .png. and .gif, which are supposed to be the accepted file types. I also tried it in safe mode with networking. Same result. My laptop, which works, is configured the same way--Windows 7-64, IE11.

Hey, you wanna send me a photo and I'll see if it will let me add it?  You're aware there's a 10 megabyte size limit, right?

19 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Hey, you wanna send me a photo and I'll see if it will let me add it?  You're aware there's a 10 megabyte size limit, right?

Thank you. The size is good, and I did send a photo to tech support and they were able upload it, also it worked from my laptop. I do appreciate the help.

56 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Desktop is Windows 10 and Vivaldi (a Chrome variant), Samsung tablet is Android and newly released Vivaldi app (was using Chrome), phone is company-issued Apple / IOS 13 and Safari.

Okay. The Android app has had some problems. I've been working with one of the tech developers to provide feedback. If you are having any issues I can forward them to him.

Edited by akiley

7 minutes ago, akiley said:

Okay. The Android app has had some problems. I've been working with one of the tech developers to provide feedback. If you are having any issues I can forward them to him.

Thanks but I'm not having any problems with the upgraded Android app now.  They only existed while the 'Mothership' was down this morning.

4 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Have you tried that since the update? That's the way I always did in the past, but now it works differently.

No, not since the update...

10 hours ago, HamRHead said:

This sounds like a problem inside your browser, not with Windows or your machine per se. Have you tried doing it with a different browser? For example, Edge or Firefox instead of Chrome. That could help narrow down the problem.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BarbetSmith said:

This sounds like a problem inside your browser, not with Windows or your machine per se. Have you tried doing it with a different browser? For example, Edge or Firefox instead of Chrome. That could help narrow down the problem.

I have not tried a different browser but I'll do that. Good idea. Thank you.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, BarbetSmith said:

No problem.

I just tried Chrome and it worked fine! Thanks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I just tried Chrome and it worked fine! Thanks.

Yay! In theory it should probably be possible to narrow down the problem in your other browser to some add-on or setting, but if not, at least you can use it in Chrome now. Glad to help.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarbetSmith said:

Yay! In theory it should probably be possible to narrow down the problem in your other browser to some add-on or setting, but if not, at least you can use it in Chrome now. Glad to help.

I'm a bit ashamed I didn't think of that, since I get paid to do this for a living.  :classic_blush:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm a bit ashamed I didn't think of that, since I get paid to do this for a living.  :classic_blush:

No worries. Do you have any bright ideas about how to fix the issue on IE11? If so feel free to reply on PM. Not a big deal, however. I should probably move to Windows 10 and whatever the browser is now.

Edited by HamRHead

13 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

All this brings to mind a problem I had a while ago.  I site I visit daily (it's a puzzle I do) stopped working.  The form that is drawn to do the puzzle simply failed to draw.  I was using Chrome on my laptop at the time.  I switched to Microsoft Edge, where it worked fine.  Eventually the laptop died, as they do eventually, and I bought one of a different brand.  On a lark, I tried Chrome on the new laptop, and it worked well.  Each browser drew the form a little differently, but each was usable in it's own way.Since then I have read a couple of articles that suggested that most browsers (and specifically Chrome) were not particularly secure, and that the most secure was Firefox (apparently they store less data about you that is in turn sold to companies that want to sell you stuff based on your browsing history - don't know if this is true, but I read it on the internet, so it must be true, right?).  But I digress.  My point is that different browsers handled the same page differently, and that the same browser handled the same page differently on different vendor's computers. 

BTW, I use Windows 10, and keep it updated, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that those of you on different OS versions would have different results.

• Like 2