Whatbird Community

3 birds of same species taken mid July. Long way off.

Larger one has extremely long wings...seems twice the size of the body. Over river near Braeside Ont. Thank you.

Long wing 1_01.JPG

Long wing 2_01.JPG

Long wing 4_01.JPG

The shape and proportions of this bird all say swallow.  Chunky, relatively short body; wings well forward, pointed, and long relative to their width; deeply notched tail.

I am saying they were Large birds.  In my naked eye, not camera eye, LARGE  raptor size birds over the Ottawa River and I do have pics of tree swallows, so I have to disagree and I grew up with barn swallows on a farm in. Manitoba, so I do know the size, which is why I sent the far off for perspective.  100's of feet up, or more. Sorry, not swallows.

This happens all the time on ID forums. Field marks clearly show x species, but it seemed "much larger" so it can't be it. We've had this with obvious robins, cardinals, sparrows, etc. Size is extremely variable and the wings at a near 180 degree angle make this bird look big. What opinion/ID are you looking for and whose opinion/ID would you be satisfied with? 

Edited by akiley

Again I will disagree as I Do know the difference in size , naked eye and camera and these were not swallow size, but raptor size, so we will agree to disagree. Thank you for the input tho😊 

Just to add another opinion, this is a Barn Swallow. Let me tell you that people on here who are giving these ID's have years of personal experience with birds, especially with common birds like this one. Any bird can appear several times its size or several times smaller than a particular species due to any factors that may not be apparent in the field.

If you insist that this isn't a Barn Swallow, let's look at the other options to narrow it down. Due to the forked tail, this is either a swallow, a swallow-tailed kite, or a fork-tailed or scissor-tailed flycatcher. Since you live in Ontario, we can eliminate the flycatchers as fork-tailed are rare vagrants to the US south and scissor-tailed is not close to your area. None of the kites are in your area either, the closest Swallow-tailed Kites come is South Carolina. Due to those facts, we can say that it's definitely a swallow. The only swallow with a deep forked tail like that is Barn Swallow. The plumage fits as well - dark head contrasting with pale buffy breast, and this has nondescript wings which also fits swallow. 

Also keep in mind in the last photos there appear to be two Canada Geese flying far away behind the bird (they're not all the same species. Note the long necks). And I can tell the distance roughly by how pixelated the Geese are compared to the bird in question. This may have caused some confusion if you were watching the geese and took a photo and accidentally captured a Swallow in front. (I think this may be the whole issue here)

Not to be rude or anything, but size really is a major thing that people misjudge a TON in the field. Every birder admits that if all the plumage features are there, size always comes second even if you're absolutely sure that the bird was larger or smaller than the species ID. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

There are no geese in the photos, all swallows.  If those were geese their wings would be backwards!

:classic_laugh: There is a blurry line of three something's that might be geese to the right of, and a little lower than two swallows on the left. 

13 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

There are no geese in the photos, all swallows.  If those were geese their wings would be backwards!

You know, I was thinking that. It's kind of a perspective issue. Yeah, I think you're right.