Whatbird Community
bobolink2014

Merlin Confirm - from Delaware

I saw this bird in Delaware yesterday (sep 21).   I couldn't get a chest view and after 5 minutes went elsewhere.    To me it seems like a Merlin,  as opposed to an American Kestrel (the head doesn't have the blue/orange) but the mustache on this bird looks like a Peregrine Falcon,   so that is where any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah, after some studying I agree that this is a Merlin.  A Peregrine would have a yellow-ish bill and look grayer all over.

That's a young Peregrine. It's far too bulky to be a Merlin, and it has a very strong mustache stripe -- too broad for a Merlin. Also, the bill and legs are noticeably larger in Peregrines compared to Merlins.

Edited by akandula

32 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

Yeah, after some studying I agree that this is a Merlin.  A Peregrine would have a yellow-ish bill and look grayer all over.

Young Peregrines have blue bills and also have a lot of upperpart color variation; they range from gray to blue to brownish.

• Like 1