Whatbird Community

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and not being an experienced Bird Watcher, I am finding it very interesting.  I am doing two things with this post, learning how to post, and get an expert ID on a bird I took a picture of.  I am fairly certain this is a Flycatcher, but not able to ID which type.  The photo was taken in SW Pennsylvania on 5/7/2018, if memory serves, it was on the edge of clearing in old growth woods on the top of a mountain.  I have a few other photos, but probably not much more help. I would appreciate any help you may have on both the ID and any suggestions you have for any posts.  Thank you, and I think I will really enjoy this site!

20180507-IMG_9338.jpg

20180507-IMG_9341.jpg

Welcome to Whatbird and nice pictures!

This is actually a Northern Mockingbird. Note the slender appearance and long tail. Also, you can identify them by their gray upperparts, pale underparts, and two white wingbars. 

Flycatchers usually have smaller bills and are more stout in appearance. 

Make sure to look at this site: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Mockingbird/id

Thanks, I am familiar with Mockingbirds being much grayer.  Also thanks for your compliment on the pictures.

Most flycatchers -- in the US/Canada, anyway -- perch much more vertically. The postures in the good field guides (particularly Sibley) are accurate. Pay attention to them.

• Like 1