Whatbird Community

9/28/19, 6 pm. NYC, cloudy.  When I first saw this bird, I noticed the yellow breast with a bit of white at the "shoulders," rest looked brown, and same size as warblers.  Later, when I saw the video on my large monitor (screenshots below), I noticed the markings on the neck, edge of wings and tail, and tail shape & angle, but not nearly as many markings as a House or Winter Wren -- none that I can see on top of head and back .  The bird looked larger than what I remember a Winter Wren is.

Replies very much appreciated.

102283443_forID-3.JPG.5abf533a8233787999c96795360043b7.JPG1671620031_forID-4.JPG.5acdadee0a52d3196b1787d482a31987.JPG1780303837_forID-6.JPG.ad376f1025ba48f3a064e10d7007fb99.JPG953748170_forID-7.JPG.230646682dc82125c1bfc7359be51e85.JPG960257518_forID-8.JPG.c429a3b49f4cbe786408e8c6e627fde5.JPG

for ID-2.JPG

for ID-5.JPG

This is an adult/immature House Wren. Winter Wrens, like you were saying, differ from House Wrens by their shorter bill, shorter tail, more barring on the flanks, and smaller, dark, plump overall. 

I think the image quality is making it hard to see the barring on the wings/tail. House Wrens do not have much barring on the mantle or crown.

Edited by akandula

Thanks!  So a House Wren is about the same size as warblers?  What would be the differences between an adult and immature House Wren?

Yes, according to allaboutbirds.org, House Wrens measures 4.3-5.1 in and a Palm Warbler, a common ground warbler, measures 4.7-5.5 in. So House Wrens are about the same size as warblers.

Adult and immature House Wrens are very similar. House Wrens are nondescript their whole life (so they are basically brown with dark barring on the wings and tail).

I recommend going to allaboutbirds.org for more information on many NA bird species. It is very useful to me.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, akandula said:

Yes, according to allaboutbirds.org, House Wrens measures 4.3-5.1 in and a Palm Warbler, a common ground warbler, measures 4.7-5.5 in. So House Wrens are about the same size as warblers.

Adult and immature House Wrens are very similar. House Wrens are nondescript their whole life (so they are basically brown with dark barring on the wings and tail).

I recommend going to allaboutbirds.org for more information on many NA bird species. It is very useful to me.

Juvenile House Wrens tend to be a bit darker than the adults and they have noticeable fleshy yellow gape flanges.  I don't know when a wren is considered an adult, but we can at least say that your bird is not very young.

• Like 1

Unless the bird is showing a strong gape mark, it is really hard to age House wrens in the field. In the hand you can see some differences in the barring on the flanks and undertail coverts(which usually is more whispy in HY birds) and observing molt limits can help to help determine age. All that can be determined from this pic is that this bird is not a HY bird... so we would call it an AHY( After Hatch Year)

Edited by birdbrain22
  • Like 3