Whatbird Community

Help with a I.D. with a possible new bird.

Solid gray with no body streaking, black and white throat streaks, reddish rump patch, tail about the same length as the body.

Range is good for Crissal's Thrasher.  I hope it's a lifer!

Is that an octagon bird bath, about a foot or so high, made of concrete?  I had one of those years ago.  If it is, give it a good coat of Water-Seal or other sealer a couple of times a year, esp. before winter freeze-thaw cycles.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

5 hours ago, blackburnian said:

The bill doesn’t appear to curve down very much. I don’t see why this isn’t Curve-billed? 

5 hours ago, thelodger14 said:

looks like a Curve-billed Thrasher

I went with Crissal's because of an overall uniform gray color (instead of a darker upper body, lighter lower body, streaky chest), a decidedly yellow eye instead of a reddish one, and the reddish shading under the butt.  The bill curving could be due to the camera angle, but I felt all the other factors outweighed that one.

But I'm working strictly from field guides on this one.  I just noticed the request early this morning and thought I'd take a shot at it since it was unanswered.   I'm happy to have experience override me.

Edited by Charlie Spencer