Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Warbler ID - non-experts initially just for fun?

Southern Ontario October 3.

I thought it might make a change if some of the non-experts (like me) had a go at this one, maybe between us we can pin it down (I am down to two choices but will hold back for now).

This bird is typical of what I come across and this one was especially shy, refusing to give me a clear view.

OTOH maybe a bad idea. If no response within a few hours I will be happy for the experts to confirm.

Just a thought.

@Charlie Spencer. Definitely not a Vireo, but I noticed you are on a roll - three? in a row.......

Warbler ID 2 HVT-.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

@Charlie Spencer. Definitely not a Vireo, ...

My usual response this type of remark is to invite the poster to ingest droppings and cease respiration, but rest assured I mean that in the nicest possible way.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a career non-expert I feel qualified to bungle this one. Nashville is a good guess but I think Magnolia is a possibility. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My usual response this type of remark is to invite the poster to ingest droppings and cease respiration, but rest assured I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sorry Charlie , I don't understand this fancy talk, I think it must be a compliment.

You probably misunderstood me - I was referring to the three correct non Vireo IDs that you got.

Could not respond sooner as I can no longer use the forum on my Android devices, just my desktop.

The combination of strong complete eyering, grey head, and bright yellow throat and undersides makes me agree with Nashville.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobinHood said:

I was referring to the three correct non Vireo IDs that you got.

Even a blindfolded kid will hit the pinata occasionally if he just keeps flailing.

• Haha 1

It appears that the consensus of the non-experts is Nashville.

If an expert disagrees please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for the input.