Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saul Panzer

Mallard Hybrid?

As a non-expert I would lean towards an eclipse male with some Redhead/Scaup genes, but wait for more experienced ID.

I am not sure there is a 100% pure Mallard left in NA.

• Haha 1

This could be an intersex Mallard. They often have odd bill coloration and plumage. Also, structure seems off for any of the aforementioned duck hybrids. 

7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

In that the body looks too long?

Yeah, I would expect a redhead hybrid to have a more compact body and taller, rounded head. I suppose this could be a Redhead x Mallard, although based off of photos of this hybrid it seems that such a bird should have clean gray sides and back (Redhead-like) with a brown and green head (Mallard).

• Like 1

I think this is an intersex Mallard... but I think another option  is a HY drake Mallard molting into adult plumage. I don't think there is any reason to assume a hybrid is involved.

Not looking at the bill, I see nothing in the bird that indicates hybrid. One could argue the cheeks and other parts of the head are a little too buffy and reddish but I believe if this had a normal yellow bill no one would give it a second thought and classify it as an eclipse male or if it had an orange and black bill as a female with estrogen issues. To my knowledge, estrogen deficiencies (intersex) do not cause any alteration in bill color. Every female I have seen with male plumage still has the classic orange bill with black splotch on the top.

I don't see anything in the shape or size of the bill that is inconsistent with a Mallard. I wonder if that is actually black on the left side of the bill or just a shadow. It looks a lot like the bill on a female Black duck. I think the bill is more drab than a true gray like a Redhead. So, my guess is eclipse male Mallard with the bill color caused by mutation or very distant Black duck genes. 

Edited by von Humboldt

I'm with birdbrain22 about this being an odd first-year male Mallard. Bill color in these things can be a bit screwy, and nothing of the plumage looks at all odd for a male Mallard in the midst of its preformative molt.