Whatbird Community

This bird was seen in early September in the Ramona grasslands in Southern California.  I had ID'ed it as a red-tailed, but now I believe I may be wrong.  There were multiple red-tailed hawks in the area that day, but other hawks are also often in the area. 

190907_091221_1582_ILCE-9.jpg

Looks good for Red-tailed Hawk to me. You're mostly going to see Red-tailed there now, along with a few Red-shouldered Hawks, Bald and Golden Eagles, Cooper's Hawks, American Kestrels,  and Prairie Falcons. As Fall fades into winter, the Ferruginous Hawks, Merlins, and maybe some Sharpies show up.  There was a long standing Harris's Hawk in the neighborhood just the other side of the airport from there. Not sure if it's still there or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ID.

Yes I have photos in that area of all the species you mention.  I have not seen the Harris' for a while.  He was apparently an escaped captive hawk.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:24 PM, DC064 said:

Thanks for the ID.

Yes I have photos in that area of all the species you mention.  I have not seen the Harris' for a while.  He was apparently an escaped captive hawk.

News to me about that bird being an escapee. I observed him for a while. I thought maybe he dispersed from the Jacumba population.