Whatbird Community

Central Texas Panhandle September 28th.  I took a photo of a group of Red-winged Blackbirds but after looking closer at the photo there are what looks like two different species in the flock.  I have circled the unknown birds.  Are the two labeled 1 & 2 that look like the same species, just Starlings or something else and the other a Brown-headed Cowbird?  It looks like a type of Bunting.  What say Y'all?

Unknown Birds with blackbirds

I think they all are brown-headed cowbirds.

C

Edited by hbvol50

6 minutes ago, hbvol50 said:

I think they all are brown-headed cowbirds.

C

Really? I'm not comfortable with bronzed so can you explain? They looked big billed and rather stocky to me.

Maybe it's the angle but the bird #1 looks to have a long pointy bill like a Red-winged Blackbird, bird #3 looks like a Brown-headed Cowbird and Bird #2 looks like Bird #1 but with a Cowbird bill.  The iridescence is throwing me off on #1 & #2.  Could be the lightning.  

1. brown-headed cowbird

2. and 3. My initial opinion is bronzed, but it is out of range. 2. and 3. might not be safely identifiable...

Edited by Bird-Boys

When I heard central TX panhandle and I looked at the range, that seemed to line up. I'm still thinking Bronzed on those - I can definitely see Brown-headed on #1.

• Like 1

I'm confused. Central Texas Panhandle is in range. @Rgoodwin where is the exact location?

EDIT: I am apparently stupid and forgot that the panhandle was the northern part of the state, not the southern part 😂 . Now I'm confused because they still look like Bronzed to me.

Edited by Melierax

Approximately 70 miles north of Amarillo.  Ebird shows a couple of sightings north of my location in Sept. of this year so apparently they are here at times.