Whatbird Community

In August we went hiking in lone mountain park in TN and encountered a huge bird who flew down off a sign and then sat in the middle of the path. We opted to turn around and go back as opposed to antagonizing it since it didn’t seem inclined to leave. But we were wondering if it was okay since it seemed unnatural for it to stay around despite us being in such close proximity. A friend suggested maybe it was a juvenile? I hope so because we left with a worried feeling that we’ve been bothered by ever since, trying to think if there was anything we should’ve done for it. Is it a red tailed hawk or a juvenile eagle or an Osprey? And why did he just sit there1CB39076-B8A2-4B11-A7CC-009E95EE65EB.thumb.jpeg.85c9eb9ad4094e80a360d2008a08f430.jpeg

This looks like a Red-Tailed Hawk to me. The behavior looks like he may have caught prey, and that is why it was reluctant to move.

Thank you Tony! Had to go research “patagial”, found a neat article that goes right along with your comment! Really appreciate it, now whenever I’m seeing the hawk from underneath I should always be able to tell the red-tailed😀