Whatbird Community
RobinHood

Tennessee Warbler confirmation.

Southern Ontario, October 4.

I am not going to admit what I initially identified this as, but in the back of my mind I had major doubts.

Think I have it right this time.

Thanks.

ID HVT-751077.jpg

This is actually a Red-eyed Vireo. Note the olive-green above, whitish below, no wingbars, dark stripes through the eye and above the eye, thick bill, and white eyebrow. The red eye is not always easy to see due to the lighting.

Tennessee Warblers lack the black stripe above the eye and have a thinner bill.

• Like 1

Thanks @akandula and @The Bird Nuts. I had initially identified this as a Red-eyed Vireo but it was quite late in the year for this location (nothing locally after mid-September so flagged by eBird - still not accepted) and so the doubts set in, not helped by the poor photo.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Sometimes reviewers get busy or behind. It might take weeks or even months but there is no doubt it will be confirmed. Here is a recent shot I got from above, showing the olive back and gray crown with the dark lines at the edge of the crown, which are visible on your bird. Also note the blue feet, which are a good mark for vireos. I hate when I have a bird flagged as rare and didn't manage to get a photo. But you'll be fine with your shot.

Red-eyed Vireo 2 10-8-19.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks @HamRHead. Yes, our reviews are typically weeks or months which is fine. In this case I just lost faith in my original ID.

Nice photo, you nailed the focus and those red eyes really stand out.

• Like 1