Whatbird Community
Jeager88

Help with unknown SoCal bird

While birding in the mountains just north east of San Diego California in February of 2017 I ran across this bird in a feeding flock in a raperian area.  It was fairly active and looked like a large warbler size wise.  I have attached 2 photos.  I can't figure out what this bird is.  Any ideas.

2.o.jpg

1.0.jpg

Wow.  Not what I expected.  I've seen a ton of Orange-crowned, but never one with as much greenness and the black face marking.  Thank you.  I have been pondering this one for years and finally heard about this website so I submitted it.  Thank you.

This looks like the western subspecies lutescens, which is much yellower than Eastern birds.

The black on the face is only wet/stained/missing feathers.  I think it might be caused by a plant (I don't remember what the plant is called) from which the Orange-crowneds feed.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 7:28 AM, The Bird Nuts said:

The black on the face is only wet/stained/missing feathers.  I think it might be caused by a plant (I don't remember what the plant is called) from which the Orange-crowneds feed.

Eucs (Eucalyptus)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1