Whatbird Community

Southern Ontario, Sept. 23.

My philosophy with sparrows is that when in doubt it is usually a Song Sparrow.

This one has very clear markings and I am wondering about Savannah.

Thanks.

Sparrow ID HVT-750164.jpg

Or is it a juvenile Chipping Sparrow (my original ID), which explains the light bill colour and strong moustache stripe?

8 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I agree with Chipping Sparrow.  Looks like an immature, not a juvenile.

Out of curiosity... what is the difference between juvenile and immature? Thanks

12 hours ago, G_kayaker said:

Out of curiosity... what is the difference between juvenile and immature? Thanks

Juveniles have a streaked nape, neck, and underparts and immatures have fewer or no streaks.  All About Birds shows it here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chipping_Sparrow/id

I suppose the OP's bird could be an adult in nonbreeding plumage, but I think the malar stripe is too distinct and the crown is too brown.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm far from an expert when it comes to aging birds.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

12 hours ago, G_kayaker said:

If you're asking what the two words mean, juvenile is the first real plumage (not just down) that a bird has and immature is anything between that and full adult plumage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, RobinHood said:

Or is it a juvenile Chipping Sparrow (my original ID), which explains the light bill colour and strong moustache stripe?

Juvenile Chippings have entirely streaked heads. Immature Chipping Sparrows can have head patterns like this, but the wing pattern suggests to me that it is an adult.