Whatbird Community

Southern Ontario today.

I used the ABA Eastern Sparrows comparison chart and came up with Savannah.

Am I close?

Thanks.

Savannah Sparrow HVT-751581.jpg

3 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Looks more like Song sparrow actually. But I'd wait for someone with more experience to write back.

Yes, my first thought was just another Song Sparrow and initially filed it, but it looked  more delicate than the typical Song so started to wonder.

Reluctant to give up on this one although I suspect the lack of responses suggests agreement with Song Sparrow (rapidly learning how much they vary).

Nonetheless, my last throw of the dice is Lincoln's (buffy malar and buffy colour on the sides of the breast, white breast and somewhat distinct eye-ring together with relatively small bill).

I rest my case and defer to the experts.

Thanks.

Thanks @akiley, I very much appreciate the definitive response and "crisp looking" is a good description. I did ID it initially as a Song but the delicate bill, drab appearance and lack of a breast spot had me wondering.

Very pleased to put this one to rest.

Good Afternoon,

Hope you are well. This bird appears to be a Lincoln's Sparrow. Although it superficially suggests a Song Sparrow, the lack of a black dot on the breast, the crisp plumage, gray supercilium, and the noticeably finer streaks in comparison to a Song Sparrow lead me to conclude that this bird is a Lincoln's Sparrow. Also, notice the clearly defined white belly, which often is lightly streaked or appears "muddy" on a Song Sparrow. Below I have attached a photo of a Lincoln's Sparrow in a similar position. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you,

William young

Young Birder - Lancaster, Pennsylvania

images.jpg

12 minutes ago, William Young said:

Good Afternoon,

Hope you are well. This bird appears to be a Lincoln's Sparrow. Although it superficially suggests a Song Sparrow, the lack of a black dot on the breast, the crisp plumage, gray supercilium, and the noticeably finer streaks in comparison to a Song Sparrow lead me to conclude that this bird is a Lincoln's Sparrow. Also, notice the clearly defined white belly, which often is lightly streaked or appears "muddy" on a Song Sparrow. Below I have attached a photo of a Lincoln's Sparrow in a similar position. 

Thank you,

William young

Welcome to Whatbird!

I can't settle this one, but I think some of the disagreement may be about what parts of this bird are buff, white, and gray.

Definitely a Song Sparrow in my opinion. The underpart streaking is still thicker than would be expected on a LISP, the malar is dark and prominent, and it lacks the extensive buffy wash on the underparts. A central breast spot is often a good feature for SOSP, but it is not always present (and can even be found on some LISP as well). 

Edited by Phalarope713
  • Like 3

Look at the streaking on the bird. Lincoln's has grayish, extremely thin streaking on the breast. Medium thickness and darker here.

@William Young, welcome to Whatbird!

For future ID requests, you're always better off starting a new discussion.  If you add to an existing one, people who have already seen the original bird may not reopen the discussion.  They won't know you added a new bird and you may miss out on getting your bird identified.  Also, don't forget to include the date of your sightings.

I haven't been to Lancaster in a few decades.  I recall it being beautiful country.  I wish I'd been a birder back then; so many missed opportunities!

5 hours ago, William Young said:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you,

William young

Song Sparrows have defined thick streaking like this bird. Lincoln's Sparrows have many crisp thin streaks... not sure what you're saying, fine and lightly streaked pretty much mean the same thing... just clearing up some confusion.

I think the angle makes the central dot disappear... in any case the central dot is sometimes not visible or not apparent on Song Sparrows. 

Agreed with Song Sparrow on this bird - the thick defined facial markings with lack of buffy coloration sell it.

Lincoln's ALWAYS has virtually all of the streaking on a buff background and the streaks are narrow, black, and well-defined (not blobby). This is a Song.