Whatbird Community

Southern Georgian Bay this morning.

I don't think they are anything exciting but not confident as to what they are.

Image 1. The one bringing up the rear - it "seems" smaller and appears to have different plumage but possibly a lighting thing.

Image 2. The one in the centre - again it may be the lighting.

Thanks.

Duck ID HVT-752035.jpg

Duck ID 2 HVT-752036.jpg

I think the left most bird in the first photo is a Ring-necked Duck.  The bird in question in the last photo looks fine for another Redhead to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think the left most bird in the first photo is a Ring-necked Duck.

Thanks @The Bird Nuts. For the first one the seemingly small size compared to the adjacent ducks and the lack of an obvious white eye ring had me wondering, but fairly limited options.

The second was very, very, very wishful thinking based on the broad dark stripe and adjacent light area of the head (I had been trying to spot a Black Scoter among the Surf and White-winged Scoters for several days and someone dropped by and immediately spotted one - oh well!!).

Very much appreciated, as always.

The trailing (and "smaller") bird is certainly a Ring-necked. I don't see anything definitive to rule out Redhead in the second pic. I think that the strong crown:cheek contrast is a lighting artifact. Regardless, that contrast is not a feature of any scaup, either. The bird also does not look obviously smaller than the Redheads; even Greater Scaup is smaller than Redhead. See here for a bit about the usefulness of size comparison in duck ID.

• Like 1

Thanks @Tony Leukering, very much appreciated - the bird in the first image just looked quite/very small and the lighting probably didn't help but very few options so no doubt you are correct.

Also appreciate  the link.

Thanks again.