Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Meadowlarks.

Today Palo Pinto Co TX. (North central TX.)  Thanks for any thoughts!

1 Eastern?

2 Western?

3-4 (Front bird.) No opinion. (Was noticeably smaller than any other Meadowlarks in the field.)

DSCN9606.JPG

DSCN9615.JPG

DSCN9662.JPG

DSCN9665.JPG

I don't have any field experience with them in overlapping range, but my thoughts are:

1. Eastern

2. I think Western, but am unsure 

3. This looks good for Western in the foreground, and Eastern in the back. Notice the size difference, the pale coloration and the lack of a "pot belly" on the presumed Western

Why is one eastern? Tail barring, yellow malar, spotted/white flanks, all look very good for Western to me. Personally I wouldn't be super comfortable calling the last one though, I've actually never seen Western...

11 hours ago, egosnell2002 said:

Why is one eastern? Tail barring, yellow malar, spotted/white flanks, all look very good for Western to me. Personally I wouldn't be super comfortable calling the last one though, I've actually never seen Western...

Agreed, the first bird definitely looks better for Western in my opinion. Not sure about the others, but I would lean Western for those as well. 

• Like 1