Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarkG

Tennessee Warbler?

I saw this bird in Oaxaca, Mexico about a week ago.  I had seen a Warbling Vireo fly into this tree with binos, then switched to camera to get a photo of the bird.  This is one of those photos.  The funny part is I was 100% sure what I saw with the binos was a Warbling Vireo and initially thought this was the same bird.  But the more I look at it, the more I think the bird I got photos of is a Tennessee Warbler.  Any thoughts!

Nnsk5OV.jpg

Looks like a Tennessee,  vireos have a really small hook on the ends of their beaks. But I'd wait for some more input from more experienced members here.

Hmm...I was leaning toward Blue-headed Vireo. I'm not sure that younger birds always have a hook on the bill. Some other angles might help here. But wait for more input.

With that combination of the lack of pale wingbars, narrow white supercilium, and small, dark bill, this is 100% a Greenish Elaenia. Tennessee Warblers would have longer, pointier bills and a longer supercilium/eyeline. Warbling Vireos would have a broader supercilium.

• Like 2