Whatbird Community

When: An extremely windy November 22 2015 

Place: Harbor Island beach, Beaufort County SC 

Seabird in the midst of huge roost of shorebirds. Have many photos but most are from the same distance just different angles & none of the photos have super clear detail. Have attached the best photos that may help with the ID but can provide others if needed. My tentative ID is Pomarine Jaeger but I have no experience with these types of birds at all.

Note: A group of birders reported a Pomarine Jaeger flying over this roost almost a week before on 11/15/2015 but that bird was described as having a pale neck & do not see any paleness on the neck of this bird in any of the photos.

Help with a positive ID would be appreciated

IMG_0406-001.JPG

IMG_0382-001.JPG

IMG_0402-001.JPG

IMG_0422-001.JPG

IMG_0427-001.JPG

IMG_0428-001.JPG

IMG_0430-001.JPG

IMG_0397-2.jpg

I'm far from an expert but after looking at on line photos and guides, I think the bird is a Pomarine Jaeger

Edited by hbvol50

It's a jaeger for sure. It looks pretty bulky which is good for Pom. I don't have any personal experience with that species so I'll let someone who does say for sure.

Really cool bird. I love jaegers, but don't have that much experience with them. That being said, it does look rather bulky, which, like akiley said, favors Pom.