Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

While driving had quick glance at what appeared to be a raptor. Wing span 18-24 inches. Belly gray or brown, white underside of wings with black tips. Wondering what it might have been.

Welcome to Whatbird!

In general, it's very helpful to know where you were when you saw the bird, at least what part of what state.  In this case, though, I don't think people will be able to tell much.

Size is very hard to judge, especially with a quick glance.  I think the only raptor in North America with that small a wingspan is the Sharp-shinned Hawk, and your description doesn't fit that.  Some raptors that have white underwings with black feather tips or at least can give that impression are male Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk (northern even in winter), Ferruginous Hawk (western), Broad-winged Hawk (almost all gone from the U.S. and Canada at this time of year), and maybe Red-shouldered Hawk.  I don't know whether any of them would give the right appearance of the belly, but you could try seeing if any pictures of those look familiar.

• Like 3

Sorry....should have mentioned that this was in the area of 35th Ave and Thunderbird in Phoenix AZ

May have had a bigger wing span than I'd indicated. What struck me most was the fact that the wings were all white with the exception of the tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1