Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Hubbard

Help identify this poor bird

I hope I am not violating any rules.  I have in the past posted many pictures of beautiful birds in the wild and you have been wonderful about helping identify.  I felt creepy even taking this picture and it breaks my heart, but I saw this dead bird on a Richmond,  VA City street today and I really want to know what kind it was.  I have upon occasion seen a dead bird in the city but nothing rare or unusual.  This is something I have never seen before.  The adjacent building didn't even have large reflective windows or anything.  Can  you kindly help me know what poor bird this is that lost its life today.

Thank you,
Scott Hubbard

sadbird.jpg

I agree with Creeker. 

Scott, you’re certainly not violating any rules. Death is natural. We’ve identified a number of dead birds and even just parts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Hubbard said:

Thanks guys.  I have never seen one before.

Over the years I've increased the number of feeders in my back yard.  As I have, the number of dead birds I find in the yard has also increased.  It not outrageous, just three or four a year.  I'll sometimes spot sick ones before they pass (sluggish, sitting at the feeder but not eating, struggling to fly, apparent tumors or injuries, etc.).  It's not something I want to find in the morning but it isn't necessarily ugly.  It's one of the aspects of birding that can come as a shock the first time.  But look at enough birds and eventually you'll see a dead one.  

Like us, wildlife gets sick and dies.  We don't often see it because they usually avoid us.  Your woodcock may have run into the building in the dark (a lack of windows isn't necessarily safe), or it may have been simply natural causes.  It might even have just been old.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

I agree with Creeker. 

Scott, you’re certainly not violating any rules. Death is natural. We’ve identified a number of dead birds and even just parts.  

I agree death is natural, but bird strikes into buildings is sort of stretching that definition IMO.

44 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

I agree death is natural, but bird strikes into buildings is sort of stretching that definition IMO.

I agree as far as that goes, but we don't definitively know the cause of death.  If it was a building strike, we don't know if there was something wrong with the bird that could have caused flight problems.

28 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I agree as far as that goes, but we don't definitively know the cause of death.  If it was a building strike, we don't know if there was something wrong with the bird that could have caused flight problems.

Oh I misread the info... thought it said building strike.

I will say this, over the years I have seen quite a few Woodcocks along on the edge of roads and some even in the roads. They do not move until vehicles get so close and I have even seen cars go over a Woodcock in the road only for the bird to get up and walk off after the car had passed over it. Also have seen a mother and babies crossing the road in front of me and as i approached they all just sat down on the road.... camouflage does not work everywhere!

• Like 4