Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
lehrski

Which woodpecker

When I was running a forested trail today, I accidentally scared off a beautiful woodpecker so I couldn't get a picture. It was completely black with no markings and a bright red head. I've never really identified birds before and I'm not having much luck with the app. I live in central California near the coast but it's hot/dry. It was bigger than a robin, but quite a bit smaller than a crow.

Thanks all! The head and top of the breast were completely red so I don't think it was Lewis's Woodpecker. The red-breasted sapsucker looks about right in size, head shape, beak, etc. The only thing is that I didn't see a white stripe on it's wing. Mind you, I only saw it briefly as I came around a corner and thought "cool bird pecking holes".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lehrski said:

Thanks all! The head and top of the breast were completely red so I don't think it was Lewis's Woodpecker. The red-breasted sapsucker looks about right in size, head shape, beak, etc. The only thing is that I didn't see a white stripe on it's wing. Mind you, I only saw it briefly as I came around a corner and thought "cool bird pecking holes".

That sounds right then! The white stripe is often not very obvious. 

12 hours ago, lehrski said:

If you can find the tree again, look for a row of small, shallow holes.  Sapsuckers don't drill deep.  Also, the bird may come back to gather sap and the insects that get stuck in it.

• Like 1

I run that trail a lot and have seen trees with row(s) of shallow holes. Yay - my first bird  (well other than robins and crows).

• Like 3

Could it have been a red headed woodpecker? I know they don't live in California, but it seems to fit the description.

Edited by Alice Miller