Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mindy Smith

small owl ID

Saw this little owl on my drive home - south eastern BC near US border - getting dusky. My guess is a juvenile Northern Saw-whet but could be a Boreal. Have never seen either outside of a rescue facility. Looked to be about 6 inches tall but hard to tell. Flew on stubby wings to next tree over. Unable to get a look at the face and it made no sound. The wing seems to be sticking out beyond the tail - not sure that helps.

DSCN0124.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

Northern Pygmy-Owl.  The high open perching habit, stick-like tail, and spotting are good clues here.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Any other shots?

FWIW - same photo tuned up a little as I suspect this is all the OP has, hopefully wrong.

Whatbird Owl ID-.jpg

• Like 1

This is definitely a Northern Pygmy. Along with the classic behavior and small white spotting as @sfinmt described, note the false eyes on the back of its head, which are diagnostic for this species.

Nice bird.

2 hours ago, Mindy Smith said:

Thanks all and it is my only photo. This is a new one for me but I plan to go back to see if I can spot it again. 

In my experience, they tend to stick around the same area for a fair amount of time.