Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
gpoole

What type of gulls please.

Thanks cvanbosk. I was hoping to confirm before posting on ebird. We had a few Laughing Gulls arrive with Dorian and they seem similar.

First photo - -  Appears to have no color in the wingtips.  Along with bill size and head shape I'd say Glaucous.   Bill tip suggests a subadult.   It otherwise just looks too bulky and large billled for an Iceland (gaucoides).   Hope some others weigh in on this.

Edited by sfinmt

Thanks sfimnt. This bird was the same size as the Herring Gulls in the cove, but was conspicuous due to its clean pale appearance.

Well.....these photos make me lean more toward Iceland.  The bill looks smaller than glaucous and the base looks more yellowish than pinkish.  Head shape looks a bit less flattened.  Possibly a splash of gray in the primary edges?     

Primary extension looks fairly long too.  Along with Herring Gull size comparison, provides a couple more points in favor of Iceland.

Armed with your excellent observations, I consulted my guide (Birds of Canada by David M. Bird,Ph.D.) and I agree with your call. I wouldn't have got there without your help. Gulls are tough and thanks to you, I've learned alot.

I'm not fully confident on this one - - was hoping for input from others who are more familiar with eastern gulls.