Whatbird Community

I got a few birds when I visited Bar Harbor, Maine back in August that I have trouble identifying. Would appreciate any help!

Bird #1: looks like a vireo to me, but I am stumped by the wing bar and yellow on the wings. 

49077121287_6fa3275144.jpg

Bird #2: taken on a whale watch trip. Does this look like Leach's Storm-Petrel? The tail looks forked, and the wing bands don't have white on them...

49077121242_4757dbafd2.jpg

Bird #3: taken on the same whale watch trip. I was hoping it's a shearwater, but it doesn't match anything in my guide. Maybe a gull?

49076915836_a4c70abfc0_o.jpg

Thank you!

#1 is a young Golden-crowned Kinglet who hasn't come into adult colors yet.  Yellowish edging on the primaries, white-over-black wing bars, and pale gray unstreaked underparts are good at all ages.  I'm regularly reminded that vireos have blue legs.  While I every one I've seen looks dark gray to me, this bird's legs are definitely not blue.

Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat @akandula and @The Bird Nuts lately.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

#2, the white rump looks good for Leach's.   I think we can rule out any chance of Wilson's due to time of year, and European shouldn't be that far west.

Unlike the kinglet above, I'm working off web resources and not experience on this one.  Definitely wait for confirmation.  If I'm right, I'm also jealous; great bird!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

#2 is definitely a Leach's Storm Petrel. Note the long, more angled wings (the arms are short while the hands are long), pale carpal-bar across the whole wing, long, deeply forked tail, and while watching it, the distinctive nighthawk-like bouncy flight. 

Also, like Charlie was saying, based on the date and location, the Leach's would by far be the most likely "white-rumped" storm-petrel there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfinmt said:

Suggesting juvi Blue-headed Vireo for #1

Vireos have blue feet, as Charlie has already mentioned.  It is a young Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Why not Golden-crowned Kinglet?

Edit: I am just not fast enough today.

Edited by Kevin
  • Haha 1

That bill really threw me.  Doesn't have that dainty look, but being jammed open with a meal sure distorts the view.